Tags

wow (82) real.life (27) mathematics (19) info.tech (13) commerce (10) doomsday (7) runescape (4)

Search This Blog

26 July 2009

My Computer and I: Connection Degeneration

My desktop is a 3-year-old Dell Dimension 8400. It was high-end at the time it was bought, but regardless is starting to show its age. I have upgraded some of its parts since then to keep playing World of Warcraft bearable, but of course it will need to be replaced eventually.

I have had my share of computer problems with my current computer (not suggesting that Dell is necessarily a poor computer assembler, mind you). Other than high school computing studies, I have had no formal training in maintaining a computer, so I usually need to end up experimenting when something goes wrong. Without further ado...

The Problem:
World of Warcraft's latency would be satisfactory when first logging on, but would increase over time, eventually causing WoW to disconnect.

Background Information:
  • Any link along the (very long) connection between the server and the client can act up and delay data packets, causing excess latency.
  • The theoretical maximum speed of Wi-Fi is 54Mbps, though during actual operation it normally attains a maximum of ~30Mbps.
  • Wireless signals are more susceptible to interference than electrical impulses along wires. Sources of interference for Wi-Fi's 2.4GHz frequency band include microwave ovens, cordless telephones, baby monitors, Bluetooth (though its frequency hopping reduces the impact), amateur radio stations and other Wi-Fi access points.
  • Wireless signals can be blocked or reflected by metal, concrete and water.

The Circumstances:
  • My Internet connection was ADSL1 between ISP and modem, then Wi-Fi between modem and computer. The same unit performed modem, wireless networking and Ethernet functions.
  • The connection speed for the Wi-Fi wireless network (wireless) was set to automatic.
  • There were several other wirelesses nearby that the router detected. Other than the microwave oven, there were no other possible sources of interference.
  • There was a mirror between the router and computer.

The Experience:
  • I first tried isolating the link in the chain which was causing the problem. Instead of connecting to the router wirelessly, I wired to it under Ethernet. There were no latency problems using this configuration, so the wireless must have been acting up.
  • Next, I tried identifying the problem with the wireless and fixing it. To identify the other wirelesses as sources of interference, I moved my own wireless to a vacant channel. To identify the microwave oven as a source of interference, I compared network performance during its operation and outside of its operating time. To identify the mirror as a source of interference, I tested the connection while it was removed. None of these were conclusive.
  • In the end, I tried capping the wireless' speed at 24Mbps. WoW did not lag out anymore!

Implications:
  • The wireless was struggling to support WoW at the automatic speed setting!
  • Setting a higher speed will make the signal more vulnerable to data corruption.
  • You cannot fully trust a computer to do your work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment